It is estimated that vandalism and theft currently account for as much as $1 billion each year in losses to contractors, construction companies and other construction-related vendors. According to the statistics collected by the Associated General Contractors of America and the National Insurance Crime Bureau, this number is expected to continue to grow steadily in the future. Since 1996, this figure has grown by ten percent. One of the reasons why the cost associated with job site theft has gone up so much in recent years is the targeting of copper by thieves nationwide.
Many project managers and property owners have decided to fight back against copper theft by using temporary onsite storage and other types of construction storage container units to protect and safeguard their valuable copper materials. An unclassified Intelligence Assessment that was disclosed by the FBI stated in 2010 that copper thieves were a “threat to US critical infrastructure,” with targets for theft on the rise since 2006 that, in the opinion of the FBI, presented both a risk to “public safety and national security.” In addition to copper theft, the construction industry is a prime target for thieves that are looking for other types of valuable ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
The True Cost of Job Site Theft
As anyone who works in the construction industry knows, job site theft costs much more than just the value of the item or items that were stolen. Other losses that can come as a direct or indirect loss due to the theft include wasted rental time of professional equipment that cannot be used, downtime of employees that cannot work and penalties associated with the project not being completed on time all because the materials were stolen and needed to be re-ordered before the work could be done. Fortunately, all of this loss can be easily prevented through the use of professional Providence construction storage that can be used to safeguard your materials and other job site property 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
In addition to using a job site storage rental to protect your materials, tools, supplies and equipment both during operations and after hours at night and on weekends, there are a couple of other things that project managers and property owners can do to increase security and reduce the risks associated with theft. However, a temporary onsite storage is a great place to start.
- Lighting – Check the lighting on your job site. Increased lighting is a great way to prevent theft, especially overnight. Add more lights to areas outside of the perimeter of your job site fencing area, as well as within the perimeter, providing spotlights on your construction storage container, large equipment and other important valuables.
- Better Control – Make sure that your employees are aware that you are paying attention to everything that goes on at the job site. Implement control measures, such as time cards, organizational efforts and other housekeeping policies so your employees will know that you are on top of it all.
- Scheduling – Make sure to schedule material and supply deliveries according to your needs and around the work schedule that is best for your trusted supervisors and employees. Try to limit the amount of time that valuable supplies, such as copper, are actually on-site to reduce the number of opportunities for thieves.
- Inventory – If you effectively manage your inventory through the use of barcode stickers, inventory checklists and other master list controls, you will also be able to identify missing materials or thefts as they occur rather than getting caught off-guard. Consider using a sign-out sheet for tools or a chit system for better tracking and control, especially if you have a problem with missing tools.
- Security – Increase the amount of security on the job site. Add temporary security fencing to establish a perimeter around your project, use additional fencing to provide a secure area for large equipment or materials that won’t fit in your job site storage rental and consider hiring a drive-by or 24/7 on-site security team to watch your construction storage container, equipment and other materials.
How to Use Providence Construction Storage
There are a lot of different ways for construction companies to take advantage of a job site storage rental. Choosing to keep your materials, tools and equipment on-site will help to increase productivity and limit the amount of time wasted in transporting these items back and forth from your warehouse of self-storage unit to the job site. By keeping these things on the property of your project in a construction storage container, you make it easy for employees and other crew members to gain immediate access to the things they need to make the project run more efficiently.
The cost associated with renting a temporary onsite storage unit is off-set by the amount of money you will save in having to replace expensive materials, tools and equipment. This is one of those things that should be built into your project budget, especially on projects that you know will have expensive or commonly stolen items that you will need to protect. Most construction sites are outdoors so measures must be taken to secure materials, tools and other essential items that are key to finishing the project on time.
Not properly securing your equipment could cause you major financial losses, but can also cause your insurance premiums to go up if it is deemed that your lax security was to blame. You cannot leave scrap metals, copper pipe and valuable tools lying out and about, expecting them to go untouched over the weekend or at night when you are not there. Job site storage rental units are the perfect solution to protecting and safeguarding your project.
Where to Get Temporary Onsite Storage in Rhode Island
If you are looking for the best place to deliver Providence construction storage or construction storage container rentals anywhere in the northeastern region, contact Valtran. With over ten years of experience working with construction companies, contractors and businesses to provide quality job site storage rental and lease units, Valtran can help you to secure your job site and improve the effectiveness and productivity of your project. Call us today to get a FREE estimate or to schedule a delivery.