If you are looking to move in the near future or are trying to sell your home, there is a better way to get organized without having to spend an entire weekend going through all of your belongings. Storage containers are becoming more popular with homeowners who are using them to store extra furniture, collectibles and other items that they don’t use on a daily basis. Removing these things can reduce clutter and make moving faster and easier. If you are selling your home, a mobile mini storage unit can be used to make your rooms appear larger to prospective buyers by reducing the amount of furniture and personal belongings scattered around the house.
Storage containers in Providence, such as the ones that are available through Valtran, can be delivered to your home and loaded at your convenience. You can either keep the storage containers on-site as a staging area for boxes and things ready to be moved on moving day, to protect them from dirt, dust, insects and/or weather damage or we can move your mobile mini storage unit to your new residence according to your specifications. Providence residential storage is a great way to organize your home, have a more efficient move or prepare your home for tours and sales opportunities.
The Advantages of Using Storage Containers in Providence
One of the main reasons why homeowners are choosing to use storage containers over the traditional self-storage facility is because they are much easier to use. When you use an off-site facility, you need to rent a moving truck and drive your belongings to the storage site. What that means is that you need to load the truck and unload the truck. Then, when you are ready to move your things into your new home, you need to rent a truck again, load it up and then unload it at the new place. That’s a lot of loading and unloading. Not only is that a lot of work, but it can also mean more opportunity for special items, such as antiques or other irreplaceable family heirlooms and pieces, to become damaged in the move.
The other advantage is that you get to take your time and load the mobile mini storage unit at your leisure. With a truck rental, time is money. You need to return the moving truck as soon as possible to prevent fees from building up. At Valtran, we can give you a quote for the entire amount of time that you will need to use our Providence residential storage units, giving you the freedom to go at your own pace. This is especially helpful for people who haven’t moved in many years. You will likely need to go through entire attics, basements, garages, crawl spaces and other areas of your home that you typically used to store things you haven’t used or seen in many years. It can take time to go through all of those things to see what you want to keep and what you want to donate or throw away.
Storage Containers: Tips on Getting Started
When it comes time to start moving your things into storage containers in Providence, whether you are moving to another state or just across town, it all starts with a little mental organization. Below are some tips for common areas of a home with suggestions on how to best pack and store the items found there inside of your storage containers for transport to your new home or just for storage inside the mobile mini storage unit while you attempt to sell your home.
- Bathroom(s) – Remove all of the items from underneath the sink. Go through and toss out nearly empty items or items that you haven’t used in a long time. You can put back the items that you will need to use until the move or throughout the showing of your home, but organize them carefully and neatly for best results.
- Bedroom(s) – Start by picking up the room, removing any clothes that need to be washed and taking care of the washing while you finish cleaning the rest of the room. Put everything neatly away inside your closet, dresser or put off-season items inside your mobile mini storage unit for safekeeping. Remove everything from your closet and go through it to see what can be stored inside storage containers, donated or thrown away. Make sure to safely pack personal items, such as photos and keepsakes, to ensure that they don’t get lost or damaged during the move. Consider putting these special items inside your Providence residential storage unit. Clean out from under the bed or any other “stow away” area where things tend to collect. When you do pack up the bedroom, make sure to label it as so-and-so’s bedroom or master bedroom and kids’ bedroom accordingly.
- Home Office – Go through all of the things that you keep in your home office, such as bills, papers and other important stuff. Put all of your bills inside of filing cabinets or organize neatly by category into a plastic accordion folder or other type of container. Shred paper that has confidential information and toss out papers that are no longer needed. Pack up anything that you won’t be using during the move or the showing of your home to make the space look larger and make your move go smoother.
- Living Room – Go through any DVDs, books, video games or other entertainment items that you keep in this space. Pack away anything that you don’t need to have with you during this time. Throw out any magazines, newspapers or catalogs that are dusty, outdated or haven’t been read in a long time. Organize all of your remote controls in one spot on a table or container inside your living room area. Consider labeling these controls for easy use and set-up at your new place when you move. Remove any excess furniture and stow it inside storage containers in Providence and re-organize furniture to make the room appear larger.
- Basement/Garage/Attic/Crawlspace – Go through these common storage areas to check for any hazardous materials that need to be disposed of properly according to local regulations. This includes paint, chemicals, pest control products, cleaning products and/or automotive fluids. Call your local trash company or municipality for information on proper disposal. Move any items that are stored on the floor into boxes and on shelves for easier use and to protect these items from spills, floods and other common issues. Try to organize things by categories, such as games, tools, keepsakes and other typical storage area items.
Where to Get Storage Containers in Providence
Contract Valtran for the best options in the New England region for homeowners who need to rent a mobile mini storage unit for moving or staging purposes. Choose from a wide variety of sizes, including ten, twenty and forty foot storage containers and cube style mobile storage units. Ask our friendly and helpful customer service staff for more information or ask us for a FREE estimate. Our crew will deliver your storage containers in Providence or anywhere else in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, New Jersey and New York.